Sweet Cherries - Pick up day, Monday, July 18th FARM PICK UP
Sweet cherries reserved for you to pick up from our farm on Monday, July 18th between 4 PM and 5 PM. (Contact us for other times).
The Variety is Burgundy Pearl, a delicious dark, sweet cherry! Picked with no stems.
We will have your order marked with your name on it. Please drive up the driveway, past the roadside farmstand - to the warehouse behind the farmhouse (to the right of the solar panels).
1. Do I need to order my cherries in advance? No. If you are just looking for a quart or two of sweet cherries, just stop by our farmstand between 8 AM and 5 PM and purchase from our self-serve farmstand.
2. Where do I go? Our farmstand is located at our farm at 7990 E Horn Road, Lake Leelanau, MI. We are located approximately 1 mile north of M-204 on Horn Road (about halfway in between 45 North Winery and Aurora Cellars Winery). Look for the big red truck planted with flowers in front of our driveway. Please drive up the driveway, past the roadside farmstand - to the warehouse behind the farmhouse (to the right of the solar panels).
3. What if it rains? We will still have your cherries ready for you!
4. Can I just order over the phone by calling Bardenhagen Berries at 231-271-3026? No. We just can't handle managing phone orders and our current harvest activities.
5. What if something happens and I can’t pick up my berries? We are not offering refunds once your cherries have been picked and are waiting for you in our farmstand. If you are unable to make it, please try to arrange to have someone else pick up your cherries in your place. If you need to cancel or reschedule your order, please contact us at least 36 hours in advance by calling 231-271-3026.
6. WHERE ELSE CAN I FIND BARDENHAGEN BERRIES?
a. Visit our farm stand between 9 AM and 6 pm Monday thru Sunday to purchase quarts of cherries at our self-serve stand.
b. Visit us in person at any of the farmers markets where we plan to vend during the season. (Tuesdays-Glen Arbor; Fridays-Northport; Saturday - Traverse City).
c. Order online to pick up at an area Farmers Market via the Sara Hardy Downtown Traverse City Farmers Market, which has a Wednesday pick up.
d. Visit one of the locations that sells our sweet cherries: N.J.s, Grocery, Betsy Price Farmstand, and Bells of Christmas.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS & ANSWERS REGARDING BARDENHAGEN BERRIES:
7. Do you offer U-Pick? We have not offered it in the past, and do not plan to offer it this season.
8. Who picks the cherries? We are very grateful to offer employment to a crew of between 20 and 30 mainly migrant workers from Texas and Florida help harvest the berries during the short 2-3 week harvest season. If you or someone you know may be interested in applying to pick strawberries and cherries on our farm during the 2021 season, please visit our job postings on our website.
9. Are your strawberries and cherries organic? No. Our strawberries and cherries are grown conventionally. We work hard to use the least amount of pesticides as possible.
10. What does Bardenhagen Berries do to protect the environment? We can’t really list everything, but here are a few things. We are one of the few farms in Michigan certified with the Michigan Environmental Assurance Protection (MEAP) area in all three areas: Farmstead, Cropping and Wildlife & Habitat. Our strawberries are grown in straw, not plasticulture like mass produced strawberries from California, Mexico, and Florida. Mass produced strawberries also typically fumigate their soil between crops with toxic chemicals. We practice crop rotation and “biofumigate” our soils with cover crops that naturally help to repel some problematic soil organisms. Our farm has a 42 kWh solar array that produces at least as much electricity as our farm uses annually. Our 180 acre farm is protected from future development through a conservation easement with the Leelanau Conservancy. For berry packaging, we are working to avoid plastic as much as possible, using more expensive cardboard and paper packaging.
11. What are you doing for food safety? Our farm has an extensive food safety program which involves frequent hand washing & hand sanitizer use, frequent sanitizing of harvest equipment, employee training, traceability of product, and much more. As with all produce, we recommend washing our produce before consuming.
12. What is the best way to store my cherries if I am not going to use them right away? Sweet cherries store quite well in the refrigerator.
13. What is a good way to enjoy Bardenhagen Berries in the winter? Simply wash, remove pits, arrange in a single layer on cookie sheet and put in freezer. Once frozen, transfer to resealable freezer bags to store and enjoy in your favorite recipe (smoothies, jam, etc.) during the rest of the year!
14. Thank you for supporting local!